25 April, 2007

They Must Have Taught Us Something...

I also want to use this blog as a place to draw attention to some of the amazing artists and designers I know. Today I'm going to show off some work from the talented people I went to RISD with.

First, my good friend Jane Kim, who's been working on some fantastic paintings. I have three in my house so far, and Eric owns one as well. She uses time-period specific paint palettes from Sherwin Williams as her inspiration, and then paints these gorgeous pieces on drywall panels that have been framed up like a wall. I love this painting with the deer and I am kicking myself for letting Eric's roommate buy it! But then again, I probably have enough deer in my house...

Another really talented friend is Beau Buck, who makes these ridiculously cool motorcycle helmets. I almost wish I had a bike so I could buy one! (But on the other hand I value my life and my skin, so...) Beau was always such a great guy in school, and it makes me really happy to see him continuing to do such wonderful work. Take a look at hiswebsite to see all his creations.

I also want to point you in the direction of David Wiseman, whom I was never really friends with, but whose work I have been admiring for a long time. In college he made these beautiful deer hat hangers, which (no surprise) I always loved. Now he's doing all kinds of work from ceramics to glass to metal, and it's all beautiful. Take a look at this ceiling he transformed with porcelain flowers and branches- it's breathtaking!

Alex Lukas has been publishing zines and small books for some time now under the imprint Cantab Books, and also does really cool installations and illustrations that you can see here.


I love the bags that my friend Shawn Parks makes from construction material. At RISD we used to go around scavenging at construction sites but now he's gone legit, and really created something beautiful. Shawn is such a talented guy that everything he touches turns to gold, from textiles to architecture. And he's also a great guy to have around.


On the edible side of things, another friend, Robyn Giragosian, makes these delicious, gorgeous cupcakes. They absolutely put my baking to shame. And she takes such amazing photos of them! Maybe I just love this one because the cupcakes are blue and red, but I think they look divine. Check out her blog for more pics and projects.

Last but not least, I have to mention Andy Kennedy, who is a terrific animator and dear friend. Go visit his website to see some of his work. Look carefully when you watch "The Oak Dresser"- I made hundreds of those acorns our senior year!

No comments: