26 December, 2010

La Isla Bonita


I'm finally recovered from all the craft shows and birthday madness, and I have some catching up to do! First of all, I went to Central America! I visited my friend Jane in Panama City, where she is working for the Smithsonian Institute as a scientific illustrator, and then I met up with my friends Jessica, Jessica, and Marina in Belize for a week in the sun. We stayed outside of San Pedro for the first two nights, which was really lovely- San Pedro is such a cute beach town- and then spent the rest of the time on Cayo Espanto, a private island! Let me tell you: this was a level of luxury that none of us will probably ever experience again. We had a butler at our disposal, a masseuse, a private chef to create custom menus for us every day, our own swimming pool, access to boats, kayaks, catamarans, and even a helicopter and jet if we had wanted to use them.


Belize is known for its outstanding snorkeling/scuba diving, its beautiful rainforests, and its Mayan temples... but we pretty much did NOTHING, which was exactly what we needed. By day, we lazed about in the sun, ate tons of food, drank lots of rum, read and swapped books, and played cards (I even re-learned how to tell love fortunes like we did in Middle School). At night we dined by candlelight outside, watched movies (we were on a bit of a Kurt Russell/Patrick Swayze kick) and talked about boys under the stars (we were there during a meteor shower!). I have never been so relaxed, or so tan, and I am officially sold on the tropical vacation. It may not be quite the luxurious fantasy that this trip provided, but I am determined to take one every year if I can.







No comments: